Monday, December 03, 2018

Every Day Like Today


Christmas Season 2018 is in full swing. Christmas decorations and music began on Thanksgiving Day, however.

I'm already tired of hearing Blue Christmas, but I could still stand to hear Why Can't Every Day Be Like Christmas from the Elvis Christmas Album a few more times. I probably will.

If every day could be just like Christmas, what a wonderful world this would be.

I truly believe that this is the ultimate goal. When I was a little boy the season of Christmas did not really get under way until about two weeks before December 25. With Christmas decorations and Christmas themes coming out at Halloween these days, in ten or twenty years every day will be just like Christmas.

I'm not absolutely sure that the world will automatically become wonderful when that happens. We'll have to wait and see.


*************************************

Today is Monday, December 3, 2018.

My Dad, John W. Bain, would be 85 years old today if he were still on this side of glory. Me and my wife, our two kids, my Son-in-Law, our two Granddaughters, my brother and his wife would take him out to eat and celebrate tonight if he were here.

We'd probably go to Red Lobster. It was one of his favorite places.

On his 74th Birthday in 2006, before he passed in April of 2007, we all went to Red Lobster. I will never forget it.

He had felt good all day. That was rare. His life had become a string of good days and bad days, and the bad days seemed to be catching up with him. We had no idea.

Friends and family had come to visit him or called him on the phone wishing him a happy day and he had looked forward to going out on the town with his family. I can still see us all there that night at the restaurant.

The waiters seated us all at a string of tables drawn together for our group. We ordered our drinks, began sipping and eating cheese rolls, and then we ordered our food.

As soon as we sent your orders to the kitchen, Daddy raised his tea glass and said, "I wish that every day could be like today!"

We all smiled, our eyes teared, and we raised our glasses in agreement.

We haven't had the opportunity on each of his birthdays since then to gather in his memory -- we won't be able to this year.

But often, when we do get a chance to all be together, for any occasion, I will lead us to toast Daddy.

I do wish that every day could be just like that day.

What a wonderful world this would be.

Happy Birthday, Daddy.

No comments: