Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Magician's keys



The magician locks his keys in his car . . . with the ignition on and the motor running.

Don't tell anybody . . . that's what I have always called "a woman thang."

I have rescued many damsels in distress over the years.  Those who had too many things in their arms and too much on their mind . . . and let the door shut and lock behind them.  I have swooped in with an air of male (and more particularly ME) superiority.  Coat-hangered the locks or delivered their extra set of car keys.

They have all been grateful, but I still chided them for being so careless . . . so female.

But, as you probably know . . . payback is . . . well, you know what it is . . . and so, yesterday I pulled up at the church, I remember getting out of the car, opening the rear door to get my exercise duds out of the back seat, and . . . . . .

The next conscious thought I had I was standing next to the car, both doors were shut . . . and the engine was running.

The car is a gracious, temporary loan from my Mom . . . and I appreciate her letting me use here vehicle until she gets a little more steady on her feet (or in her seat).  I'm also gratefull that she has an extra set of keys . . . and grateful to my little brother for rescuing me from my delima (though he DID seem to be a little snooty in the performance of his brotherly duty).

Someone may ask me today . . . "Well, do you feel a little humble and contrite?"

No . . . just a little more in touch with my feminine side . . . just a little more girly . . . and a little less manly.  And a little older, and more senile.

This will NEVER happen again.

No comments: